You can’t go hiking without...
… a picnic. Of course it has to include nuts, raisins and Swiss sausage. Or maybe a quinoa salad and gummy bears, as long as it’s vegan? Or are dried meats the staple?
Some people prepare things the evening before: they boil eggs, make iced tea, chop tomatoes and grill courgettes for their quinoa salad, and they pour nuts into glasses. Others pack what they want to bring the morning itself: Swiss sausage, rolls, a small tube of mustard and an Ovo Sport bar.
If children are coming along, then of course Smarties or gummy bears along with their favourite veg are also a must.
It is even possible to pack for a picnic at the very last minute, i.e. at the station just before the train leaves: just buy a ready-made sandwich, crisps and a bottle of iced tea, and you are all set for the picnic.
Picnic types are just as varied as hiking types. We have asked around and picked out the most common types of hiker. Do you recognize yourself in any of them?
Are you the well-prepared type who chops up your veg the evening before and packs it into neat lunch boxes? And if you have children coming with you, are you also sure to pack crisps and fun Tupperware boxes?
Family picnicker video
Or maybe you are more the type who uses reusable beeswax wraps?
Beeswax wrap picnicker video
Or are you someone who feels managing your time effectively is what matters, who uses lots of plastic and who buys everything at the last minute from the station?
Unprepared picnicker video
What should I take on my picnic?
- Herbal tea – you can enjoy it hot or cold.
- Smarties, gummy bears or Ovo Sport bars instead of chocolate – none of these things melt
- Swiss sausage can be enjoyed cold or grilled.
- Vegetables: carrots, fennel and cucumbers are particularly good things to take.
Always be sure to take:
- Water bottle
- Pocket knife
- Cloth bag for bread/veg
- Lunch box/Tupperware/beeswax wraps
TO-DO LISTS AND SHOPPING LISTS for...
… FAMILY PICNICS
- boil egg
- make tea
- wash and chop veg (cucumbers, carrots)
- Swiss sausage
- Cucumber/carrot/fennel – whatever you prefer
- Blévita/Darvida crackers
- Minipic sausages
- BabyBel cheese
- Pom-Bär chips
- Gummy bears/Smarties
- Some salt/condiments
- A small tube of mustard and mayonnaise
… HIPSTER PICNIC
- Prepare a quinoa salad with courgettes, capers and tomatoes
- Wash and cut carrots
- Fill a reusable glass bottle with water and flavour it with mint and lemon
- Fill glasses up with nuts and dried fruits
- Courgettes, olives, tomatoes: for your quinoa salad
- Dried fruits from the deli counter
- Nuts from the deli counter
- Organic fruit: apples, etc.
- Vegan, gluten-free biscuits (from the deli)
… CLASSIC PICNIC
- Make tea
- Swiss sausage or dried meats
- Nuts, raisins and grapes
- Ovo Sport bars