Online voting and elections
E-voting and security
The highest security standards guaranteed
Data security is the top priority in the e-voting process. Swiss Post’s e-voting solution boasts special security-related and cryptographic provisions. These guarantee security and voting secrecy during electronic votes and elections.
Media image full width
High level of transparency in the e-voting process
- The e-voting platform can be checked by the voting authorities and independent auditors before, during and after the votes are cast.
- Authorities and certification bodies have successfully checked and repeatedly approved the key elements of e-voting.
- Control over the voting process lies exclusively in the hands of the relevant voting commission of the canton participating in the vote or election.
- At any time, the electoral authorities can ensure that the digital ballot box has not been manipulated and contains only valid votes. They cannot, however, change these votes.
- System administrators and other people with system authorizations can neither consult nor change votes.
Voting secrecy guaranteed
- Continuous encryption throughout the entire voting and election process guarantees voting secrecy.
- A patented “mixed” process implemented before the votes are decrypted prevents correlation between the votes cast and the voting order. This means the protection of voters’ data is guaranteed.
- The confirmation that a vote has been cast contains no information about how the voter used their vote.
- Swiss Post’s e-voting solution provides a solid authentication process based on individual digital certificates.
- Advanced security measures with sophisticated cryptography prevent attacks by hackers or system abuse by administrators with privileged access.
- All activities are recorded and monitored by means of inalterable logs. Cryptographic HMAC techniques, digital signatures, random and temporary secret cryptography keys and short-term control points are combined to create a secure log chain. This ensures the integrity and authenticity of the protocols.
- The use of two security levels prevents electoral fraud in the Swiss Post e-voting solution.
1. Ballot papers that have already been used for voting are identified in the anonymous voters’ database. This prevents these voters from casting additional votes.
2. The electoral commission checks the votes that have been cast before they are decrypted and counted.