Main content area
Advantages of e-voting
Facilitating access, reducing errors
E-voting makes it possible to participate in elections and votes independent of location. The clear user guidance prevents formal errors and invalid votes.
E-voting offers a range of advantages compared to the traditional paper procedure:
- Voters have the opportunity to vote quickly and conveniently.
- The system can be used independent of the platform and device, be it on a smartphone, tablet or computer.
- People with disabilities can vote or take part in elections online without the help of a third party.
- Swiss citizens living both in Switzerland and abroad can participate in votes and elections irrespective of their place of residence.
- Clear user guidance prevents formal errors such as illegible answers, missing signatures, incorrectly completed forms or invalid lists in the voting and election process.
- Voters receive confirmation that their vote has been correctly cast and saved in the ballot box.
- Votes can be counted quickly and precisely.
- E-voting is secure: votes are only transmitted and saved in encrypted and anonymized form. Sophisticated algorithms prevent votes from being manipulated without being detected.