Rental deposit guarantee without bank deposit from SwissCaution
More scope for you and your money
Will you soon be moving house? This is the opportunity to subscribe a rental deposit guarantee from SwissCaution. This prevents your money from being blocked in a bank deposit for several months.
If you already have a security deposit lodged with a bank, you can always switch to a SwissCaution rental deposit guarantee. This will enable you to recover the money you deposited with the bank.
The SwissCaution rental deposit guarantee is similar to a conventional bank deposit in terms of security, value and purpose.
SwissCaution was founded in 1991 and is the first insurance company to offer rental deposit guarantees without a bank deposit to both private and business customers. With a rental guarantee portfolio of over CHF 750 million, 180,000 participating customers and over 45,000 new customers annually, SwissCaution is the leading provider of rental guarantees without bank deposit in Switzerland. The company works with over 2,500 real estate agencies throughout Switzerland.
Swiss Post has offered the rental deposit guarantee without bank deposit in its larger self-operated branches since 2009 in close partnership with SwissCaution. The cooperation between these two Swiss companies ensures a high level of availability of the offer.
- In order to avoid the need for a security deposit, pay a lump sum registration fee of CHF 231.00 (including 5% stamp duty), which will cover the current year until 31 December. In the following years, your annual premium will be 5% of the rental deposit amount (plus a CHF 20.00 administration fee and 5% stamp duty).
- For young people aged between 18 and 26, the initial premium is reduced to CHF 150.00. Furthermore, they receive a 10% discount on the subsequent annual premiums.
- In the event of damage, if your landlord makes claims against you to which you agree, SwissCaution pays the amount claimed by your landlord up to a maximum amount equal to the amount stated on your rental deposit guarantee certificate. You must then reimburse SwissCaution the amount paid in advance to your landlord.
- You may cancel the contract with SwissCaution at any time if you furnish your landlord with a guarantee of equal value which is acceptable to him.
- Subletting, commercial rental agreements and parking spaces do not qualify for rental deposit guarantees without bank deposit.
You can find more information in the General insurance conditions.
Apply for a rental deposit guarantee now online
Calculate premiums and apply
Calculate your premium online or submit an application for a rental deposit guarantee quickly and easily. The rental deposit guarantee certificate will be sent to your estate agent or landlord, with a copy sent to you within 24 hours.
To register online, you must send a digital copy (PDF or photograph) of the required documents to SwissCaution and make an online transfer of your lump sum registration fee.
This is how it works in the branch
Enquire about a rental deposit guarantee without bank deposit in one of our branches.
Present the following documents at the counter:
- copy of an official ID document, or a B or C foreigners’ residence permit for foreign nationals
- copy or draft of the rental agreement (subletting, commercial rental contracts and parking spaces are not accepted)
- copy of the ID card of all people indicated on the rental agreement
Complete the application form together with the Swiss Post employee, and sign it. All persons mentioned in the rental agreement must present themselves at the post office counter, bring a copy of official identification and sign the application.
Pay the lump sum registration fee of CHF 231.00 at the post office counter.
Who is this service for? Preconditions
We provide this service – apart from the online registration – in our 800 largest, self-operated branches.
There is no limit on the amount of a rental deposit guarantee.
Yes, you can conclude a rental deposit guarantee with SwissCaution at any time. This will enable you to recover the money you deposited with the bank.
Ask your landlord or their representative (real estate agency) to return the duly signed original of the rental deposit guarantee certificate to SwissCaution. As soon as your landlord or the real estate agency has requested release of your rental deposit guarantee from SwissCaution, you are automatically exempt from payment of the following year’s annual premium.
If your landlord makes claims against you to which you agree, SwissCaution undertakes to pay the amount claimed by your landlord up to a maximum amount equal to the amount stated on your rental deposit guarantee certificate. You must subsequently reimburse SwissCaution the amount advanced to your landlord or his representative.
Please remember to contact your (liability/household effects) insurance company, as in some cases your insurer may bear the costs.
If you need a new rental deposit guarantee for your new home as quickly as possible, simply fill in a new SwissCaution rental deposit guarantee application, because in this case, you will have a new rental agreement
SwissCaution is an insurance company subject to the Swiss Federal Act on Insurance Contracts and is therefore controlled by the Swiss Financial Market Supervisory Authority (FINMA). SwissCaution therefore offers the same guarantees as a bank.
You can cancel your rental deposit guarantee at any time. It is sufficient if you provide your landlord with a different, equivalent guarantee of the same amount and quality. Your landlord or their representative must then return the original of the cancelled rental deposit guarantee certificate to SwissCaution so that your rental guarantee can be released.