Online voting and elections
Swiss Post’s e-voting solution
Online voting/elections − simple and secure
E-voting enables cantons to provide electronic participation in votes and elections for their eligible voters both in Switzerland and abroad. Swiss Post’s e-voting solution is state-of-the-art and complies with the legal requirements.
Here’s how it works
Configure the vote
Before a vote or election, the canton configures its e-voting platform with voting questions or lists of candidates and grants the authorizations to cast votes electronically.
Prepare voting documents
Swiss Post provides the cantons with support in preparing the voting documents right up to the final proofing stage. The cantons produce the documents in conjunction with their approved printing partners.
Send voting documents
Voting documents for voting physically by letter or at the ballot, and for voting electronically, are sent by post.
Cast a ballot
Eligible voters who can use e-voting receive the voting or electoral materials, in addition to the individual security codes for electronic voting. They can register on the e-voting platform of their canton and vote or cast a ballot electronically.
All information transmitted during the vote is anonymized and protected with end-to-end encryption. Only the cantonal electoral authorities can analyze e-voting results. At no point can inferences be made about individual voters from the votes cast.
Advantages of e-voting
For cantons and municipalities
- Approved under the legal basis for eligible Swiss voters based in Switzerland and abroad
- The independent, legally compliant implementation of electronic voting and elections -> Legal basis
- Complete verifiability and voting secrecy guaranteed -> Security
- State-of-the-art technology and subsequent development in collaboration with internal and external experts, as well as with the cantons.
- Straightforward integration of the solution into cantonal IT systems, which are used before and after voting, and for authentication purposes.
- Low purchase price and comprehensive service from Swiss Post -> Services from Swiss Post
- Device- and location-independent votes and elections for eligible voters
- Information provided in the four national languages of Switzerland: German, French, Italian and Romansh
- The system prevents invalid votes being cast
- People with impairments (e.g. impaired vision) are able to vote independently without the assistance of third parties
What the e-voting solution costs
Basic fee for use and operation of Swiss Post’s solution.
These costs are based on the number of eligible voters in a canton (according to information from the Swiss Federal Statistical Office) and the number of eligible voters able to use e-voting in the canton (Swiss citizens residing abroad, certain municipalities, etc.). Each canton determines who is eligible to use e-voting.
Falling per capita costs
The per capita costs fall as the number of people able to use e-voting increases, and the number of cantons using the Swiss Post e-voting solution increases.
E-voting services from Swiss Post
Advice and training
- Advice on implementing and carrying out electronic voting
- E-voting communication package providing information for voters
- Advice relating to the Federal Chancellery’s requirements
- Close knowledge exchange regarding ICT and security
- Training provided to the staff involved in the canton and the cantonal electoral commission
- Second level support during the configuration period and the first contests, third level support during all contests.
- Assistance in verifying the e-voting process as a whole after voting/the election
- Support for all questions relating to e-voting
Integration and monitoring
- Integration of the e-voting solution into the cantons’ vote management systems (with standard eCH interfaces)
- Permanent monitoring of the core software and infrastructure along with the extended ecosystem in which the e-voting is operated