Online voting and elections
Swiss Post’s e-voting solution
Online voting − simple and secure
The e-voting solution enables cantons to provide electronic participation in votes and elections for eligible voters both in Switzerland and abroad. Swiss Post’s e-voting solution offers state-of-the-art technology and, in its most advanced phase of development, meets all statutory provisions.
Media image full width
Here’s how it works
Configure the vote
Before a vote or election, the canton configures its e-voting platform with voting questions or lists of candidates and grants the authorizations to cast votes electronically.
Provide voting documents
Swiss Post provides the cantons with support in preparing the voting documents right up to the final proofing stage. The cantons produce the documents in conjunction with their certified printing partners.
Send voting documents
Swiss Post handles the physical dispatch of documents to voters. The voting or election material carries individual security codes.
Log in and vote
The voters receive the voting or election material with individual security codes and log in to the e-voting platform using their electronic identity and the security code. They can then cast their vote once.
All information recorded by voters is protected with end-to-end encryption. Only the relevant canton can decrypt and analyse the anonymized information.
Advantages of e-voting
For cantons and municipalities
- Certified for eligible voters resident in Switzerland and abroad
- Independent and legally-compliant organization of electronic votes and elections -> Legal basis
- Comprehensive security thanks to transparency, voting secrecy and integrity -> Security
- Tried-and-tested technology and step-by-step development with partners and cantons -> Partnerships
- Easy integration of the solution into the IT systems used by the cantons both before and after the vote and for authentication purposes
- Low purchase price and comprehensive service from Swiss Post -> Services from Swiss Post
- Device- and location-independent votes and elections for all voters
- Information in the four national languages − French, German, Italian and Romansh − and in English
- Clear user guidance to avoid formal errors such as illegible voting papers or missing signatures
- Accessibility for people with disabilities (e.g. visual impairment)
What the e-voting solution costs
Basic fee for use and operation of Swiss Post’s solution.
Variable costs depending on the size of the electorate and the number of voters eligible to use e-voting.
Falling per capita costs
The per capita costs fall as the number of people eligible to vote and the number of cantons using the Swiss Post e-voting solution increase.
E-voting services from Swiss Post
Advice and training
- Advice on the e-voting process and logistics
- E-voting communication package providing information for voters
- Advice relating to the Federal Chancellery’s requirements
- Close knowledge exchange regarding ICT and security * Training for staff at the state chancelleries and their election workers
- Second level support during the configuration period and the first contests, third level support during all contests
- Support for verification after the vote
- Support for all questions relating to e-voting
Integration and monitoring
- Including integration of the e-voting solution into the cantons’ vote management systems (also with standard eCH interfaces)
- Hosting of the e-voting solution
- Permanent monitoring of the in-house core software and infrastructure along with the extended ecosystem in which the e-voting is located