Address and geodata
Swiss Post's reference data for logistics, marketing and GIS
Swiss Post provides various reference data so that, for example, your customer address data can easily be checked for postal validity and corrected. “Street directory with sorting data” also offers an ideal foundation for the preliminary sorting of your physical mailing. Or would you prefer to have this directory enriched with geographical coordinates? That’s no problem, either.
Swiss Post manages a database with all street, hamlet and plot names of every municipality in Switzerland and the Principality of Liechtenstein: the “Street directory”. This directory is updated regularly. The street directory can also be obtained enriched with geographical coordinates or municipality numbers.
The following street directories are available:
This directory includes the address information of all buildings served by the postal system in Switzerland and the Principality of Liechtenstein – including sorting data. It’s regularly updated and can be used as a reference for postal validation of your customer addresses. First names and last names are not included in the data.
The directory also serves as a basis for preliminary sorting when sending large mailings. This helps you save money. Read more about this under Upstream services for letter processing.
- This free directory is always up to date as it is refreshed every 14 days.
- Check the accuracy of non-personalized address components such as street, house number, postcode and town.
- Prepare your consignments using the sorting data for optimum delivery and receive a discount from Swiss Post for this upstream service.
You can obtain the latest “Street directory with sorting data” via the download center for the “Address and geodata” online service free of charge. All you need is a Swiss Post user account.
In addition to address details, this directory includes geographical longitude and latitude as well as altitude information that Swiss Post has gathered and constantly updates for all buildings served by the postal system in Switzerland and the Principality of Liechtenstein.
- Use your own geographical information systems (GIS) on a company-wide basis and visualize building addresses on your digital maps.
- Create spatial analyses to support decision-making e.g. for location analysis, logistics topics or customer localization.
There is a charge for obtaining data from “Street directory with geographical coordinates including altitude information”, which is available via the download center of the “Address and geodata” online service.
Another option that you may find interesting:
- Swiss Post’s digital postcode map: available as an area data record or a point data record for the four- and six-digit postcodes in Switzerland and the Principality of Liechtenstein.
Besides address details, “Street directory with municipality numbers” includes a link to the building with a municipality number in Switzerland or in the Principality of Liechtenstein that has been assigned by the Swiss Federal Statistical Office and regularly updated.
Order the “Street directory with municipality numbers” (service subject to a charge) from the Address Competence Center. The directory will then be available to you – always updated monthly – in the download center of the “Address and geodata” online service.
Geodata against the forces of nature
Would you like some advice?
Address Competence Center
Give us a call
Monday to Friday: 8 a.m. – 12 noon and 1.30 p.m. – 5 p.m.
+41 58 386 67 67